Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday kids club - Day 17

Today we got to sleep in! It was really good, because last night I stayed up really late skyping with my parents. It was good talking with them and catching up on the goings on at home. The morning came really early. Breakfast was my usual: lime juice and banana pancake. We piled in the bus and headed out about a half hour later than usual. At Rahabs I spent the morning writing some of my blog and reading Psalms. I read out where the kids watch tv. Just like the day before it only took a few minutes and I had a whole crowd around me. 

This time I decided to try drawing a picture. They really got into it and helped me draw this picture:

After I showed them how a couple of the boys really got into it. They drew these on their own while I held the iPad:

 
 

It was lots of fun seeing them find joy in a simple whiteboard application. 

Every day this week I have eaten at the same table with several of the boy disciples. Rat Ti is thirteen and we sit next to each other. His english wasn't great, but we shared smiles and laughs. The simple ministry of being present with people is worth far more than we consciously think. I found myself touched over and over by the questions, care, and concern for me that the local staff and disciples had. Wanting to know how I was feeling, if I liked the food, and other really trivial stuff about my experience in Cambodia. They especially wanted to know if I had been here before, so I got to share with several my childhood story of living in Vietnam. As I said before, many of the families in Svay Pak are Vietnamese so the staff actually speak some Vietnamese too. I made a few special friendships by sharing some Vietnamese words back and forth during Volleyball and goodbyes.

Our kids club today was on neighbors are forgiving. Kelsay taught the lesson of Zacheus during the story time and I taught them Deep and Wide in the singing time. We sang the Grow song again too, and they loved it all over again. I noticed today how consistent the disciples are in their ministry. 4 days into kids club and there was no waning in the energy or joy. I have that kinda energy when I'm directing my youth rally, or at summer camp, but thinking about doing that almost every day of the week, all year round! I was totally impressed. 

Psalm 79:1-13 NIV
O God, the nations have invaded your inheritance; they have defiled your holy temple, they have reduced Jerusalem to rubble. [2] They have left the dead bodies of your servants as food for the birds of the sky, the flesh of your own people for the animals of the wild. [3] They have poured out blood like water all around Jerusalem, and there is no one to bury the dead. [4] We are objects of contempt to our neighbors, of scorn and derision to those around us. [5] How long, Lord? Will you be angry forever? How long will your jealousy burn like fire? [6] Pour out your wrath on the nations that do not acknowledge you, on the kingdoms that do not call on your name; [7] for they have devoured Jacob and devastated his homeland. [8] Do not hold against us the sins of past generations; may your mercy come quickly to meet us, for we are in desperate need. [9] Help us, God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake. [10] Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?” Before our eyes, make known among the nations that you avenge the outpoured blood of your servants. [11] May the groans of the prisoners come before you; with your strong arm preserve those condemned to die. [12] Pay back into the laps of our neighbors seven times the contempt they have hurled at you, Lord. [13] Then we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will praise you forever; from generation to generation we will proclaim your praise.

This is one of the Psalms I read sitting out amongst the children. I felt the meaning really rising from the situation facing Cambodia. This idea that evil has invaded God's temple, in the new covenant the church is the temple of the living God. People are God's sacred space, and here in Cambodia their lives are not respected. Girls are abused, trafficked, sold, enslaved, and murdered by Cambodian men and foreigners taking advantage of the broken laws here. I can only imagine the questions the church here is asking, the questions of God that the disciples are asking...Why oh God would you allow this? Will you be angry with my country forever? Will you not restore us again, will you not help us for the glory of your name? Like the psalmist asks, they plead with God to hear the groans of the prisoners. I met some crazy strong servants of Jesus here and I would love to come back and see generation after generation that are proclaiming like this one is the praise of YHWH God! 

There wasn't the regular group of volleyball players again so I joined in playing soccer and just never quite. I ran around and kicked at the ball (hitting it some of the time) mostly enjoying fun times with the kids and some of the adults from the village. Physical exercise really is good for your spirit too. I found that the days I worked harder physically I felt better spiritually. 

May the peace of God guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment