Monday, May 20, 2013

Sunday reflections - Day 6.2

Today on the boat ride I am finishing the journaling for yesterday, Sunday. I will pick back up at HBI. After church we visited for a little while, pretty soon tables were set up and we sat down to eat lunch. The locals sat at round tables put us at the big long one in the middle. I asked our friend Sambath if it would be okay for us to sit among the other people and children. He said I could sit where ever I felt comfortable. So I went and found a table full of boys and sat with them. One little boy spoke some English, his parents were out at a village church since he is a student at Hope (HBI). One of the older boys sisters came over and also ate lunch at my table. She spoke pretty good English and enjoyed talking with me. Her name was Vimol. We had a special potato stew with baguette bread. It was the first time she had eaten it. So we enjoyed a new experience together, there was some rice and fish that was local Khemer style too. I actually kinda miss the food over here. 

After lunch most of the people left while we were on a tour of HBI and Sambath's house. He lives at HBI right now but has purchased a small house just down the road. We walked to it and when we were standing outside talking to some of his neighbors we started singing our songs with the kids. I've got peace like river and Hallelujah Praise The Lord. The kids followed us as we did the motions and giggled so hard! It was awesome and spontaneous joy even in the dreadful noon day heat. 


This is their water system. It starts in a little pond. And then is pumped up to a tower. 


There is a filtration built into the tower. From there it is distributed throughout the compound. 


These are smaller water filtration systems that HBI gives out to village house churches. The first village we went to had one actually! 

Two of the ladies from church that spoke a little English stayed with us all day, they enjoy learning English by talking with us. One was Borah's wife (he translated for us along with Sambath out in the villages). The other was Chharik Chan (you pronounce it like cherri). They both came with us to the second temple climb we did here in Battambang, called Battambang Mountain. It is older than the last one we visited. Similar history as Angkor Wat. 





We had a blast climbing around the ancient ruins and visiting with Sambath, Chherrik, and Borah's wife. At the top we prayed again over Cambodia. Prayer is powerful, but there is something about actually being at a high place and seeing the Hindu architecture and the Buddha statues - idolatry has a face, and it makes your prayers that much more relevant and impactful when we are standing right there amongst it praying out against it. We prayed asking that just like we sing that truly God would Open the Eyes of the hearts here to see the truth about Jesus and the uselessness of idols. That God would become the God of this City, just like we sang in our team devotionals. 

Psalm 41:1-2,13 NIV
Blessed are those who have regard for the weak; the Lord delivers them in times of trouble. [2] The Lord protects and preserves them---they are counted among the blessed in the land---he does not give them over to the desire of their foes. [13] Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen.

This Psalm seem to fit very good with my personal reflection of the past couple days. These often lament Psalms have some of the most profound elements of praise. I believe that is what I witnessed yesterday that in a place with a profound sense of poverty there can be profound praise. 

To end the recap of yesterday I want to share about in the afternoon we went to Raphas house again. Many of the same girls we saw on Saturday were there. This time we were able to buy some of the bags, wallets, purses, and elephants that the girls make. Our team spent over $1,200 there (as individuals buying gifts for friends and family). This money goes directly to the girls making the merchandise. They were so happy to see us excited about the things they have made. Again you can find out more and order your own gear at their online store: freedomforgirls.org. 

I was again struck by the confusion and longing in their eyes. How much love was there, not looks of poverty, not of hate, some maybe had what I thought looked like fear, but my only conclusion is confusion. 

"Oh God you are my God and I will ever serve you,
And I will seek you in the morning.
And I will learn to walk in your ways,
And step by step you'll lead me 
And I will follow you all of my days"

The grace of The Lord Jesus be with you as you follow him


No comments:

Post a Comment