Monday, May 20, 2013

Boat Ride - Day 7

Lots of writing today! Yesterday was very inspiring and thought provoking. Today I had a long time to reflect on that. Right now I am in the hotel room in Siem Riep after a nice dinner with Matthew and Melissa Stock who helped arrange for us to stay here nearby their home. We will be visiting some cool places tomorrow and learning some new things about trafficking. We will meet Don Bruster (guessing on the last name) who works here full time. 



The boat! Where to begin? Hmm well 8:10 we were loading on the boat. We said our good byes to Sambath and Chan Tou. Our team gave Sambath money as a gift for his bathroom. His new house he bought only had a hole in the ground for a toilet. So we thought it would be nice to gift him money for a new toilet. To say thank you for translating and taking care of us. It was like having our own personal tour guide too. 




I sat at the back of the boat near the motor. It was very loud. I wore some white headphones pictured on Janel. 



We made one stop on this 8 hour boat ride and right as we were loading up to leave the stop the rain came down. And it poured like crazy. Multiple times during our ride we would hang a tarp down and get in the sauna, at least that's what it felt like for us. The rain was a blessing after being so hot and icky, the overcast skies really kept it cooler. 


It was so loud I spent the whole time either lip reading, waving at children we passed, or typing on my iPad. It was good except for the sheer noise that the motor made. Jason got on top and helped with the tarps and ended up staying up the and he got soaked! 


If you can't tell, in the next picture it is raining like crazy!!!


So much more to share and yet I am so sleepy. Listen to the words of this psalm, which has in it some great water imagery. 

Psalm 42:1-11 NIV
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. [2] My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? [3] My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” [4] These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng. [5] Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. [6] My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon---from Mount Mizar. [7] Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. [8] By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me---a prayer to the God of my life. [9] I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?” [10] My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?” [11] Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you, the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment