Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tuesday kids club - Day 15

Morning started early again. Monday I toured the facility with a small group while classes were led and taught by others in the team. I learned a lot about Agape's work here in Phnom Penh, their dreams for the future, and some of the problems they face. Troy was able to tell me about all the changes that have been made from garbage dumps to gardens, brothels to safe houses - the transformation is amazing, and yet there are still a lot of evil present in this small community. On our tour and walk I prayed, one of the more powerful prayer walks I have been on. 

Tuesday morning was different, this time I went with Troy to the soccer field and got roped into playing a pick up game with the kids. These boys are amazing! I am not very good at soccer but I had a blast and worked hard. I played and watched for an hour and a half. It was really hot. 

I wish I had pictures to show you, but you'll have to understand my word pictures since I don't carry a camera on me during this part of the trip. Before lunch a small group of us went back out to the soccer field to pick up garbage. We picked up over 5 bags of garbage over two days. This is not the same concept as "dirty" fields in the states. Imagine this, every kid buys a drink, candy, or water bottle and bring them to the soccer field. After consuming they just tossing them all on the ground, half eaten sometimes. Almost every day they come and play outside, and the trash never gets cleaned up! You can see where plastic bags or cups have become part of the ground because of being smashed in to the grass and ground. Often a team will come in and help clean up a section of their land, and so we decided to help with the main part of the soccer and volleyball fields. It looks a lot better, seems like a surface ministry - just picking up garbage big woop - but we did it for the leaders, the disciples, and as an example to the village. We are the spark that can help get their fire back burning brighter. 

I was thinking about how important and inspirational having a guest speaker is at a church, and how short term missions is very similar. Long term is always lauded as more effective, but there is truth in the need for short term missions to be that igniter. Consider this Psalm:

Psalm 70:1-5 NIV
Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, Lord, to help me. [2] May those who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace. [3] May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!” turn back because of their shame. [4] But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!” [5] But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; Lord, do not delay.

Do you ever pray with urgency? Needs are real here, life is actually hard, people really need God...but we do too! Like the Apostle John, I pray "come Lord Jesus, come!" Come quickly to turn around the injustice and poverty I see. Come quickly to solve the stress, depression, and apathy. Come quickly to mend broken families, lives and hearts. Come quickly to make things new. For now I will live as Jesus did, I will declare, "The Lord is great!" For it is God who delivers the slaves, the trafficking victims, and heals countries. He restores by sending out His messengers: you and me! Short term or long term, burning coals or igniting sparks: 

Hebrews 1:7 NIV
In speaking of the angels he says, “He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire.”

Angel means messenger, and in some cases I believe I have met angels in my short experience of global missions. Experiences with people that were such a God send! But my main emphasis in bringing up this verse was to say: we are His servants and we are called flames of fire. How are we burning people? Bonfire? Or city limits marshmallow roaster with one piece of wood? Set fire to the rain - to quote a contemporary music artist. 

To finish about my day. Kids club was again in the afternoon. Kelsay, a communication major on our team, taught the bible story about Elijah and the widow in Zerephath. We taught the kids that neighbors are giving. After kids club we went to the volleyball courts and played some intense volleyball. I even joined the coach and Janel for several drills. I ended up being the setter for that piece. I'm still in need of some serious training but that's okay, I have fun and try to keep up her! That's a huge part of life: finding common joy.

May the joy of The Lord fill you up with strength and courage in Jesus Name!


No comments:

Post a Comment