Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Kids club - Day 18

It's the final day of ministry at Svay Pak. A mixture of joy and depression. Last night we ate at a fun place called Freebird, but the Shwarma I ate did not sit well in my tummy. Without grossing you out, I got very very sick that night and was in pretty bad straights all day. Still pushed through and participated in almost everything at kids club even. God is a God of strength! There was some filling up and overflowing of the Holy Spirit happening in Cambodia!

I woke up and took some medicine that helped, our team calls them the magic pills. The reality is they are prescription meds for early signs of dysentery, needless to say it really solved my problems, I can happily say I am feeling 100% now after a day or so. 

After a very brief breakfast we took our normal route to Svay Pak. Driving past now familiar sights, I feel a strong connection to this little village on the skirts of Phnom Penh. I know some of the stories of people who live near by, I teach some of the children that come from the houses I passed, and I know the loving disciples at Rahabs house who are ministering to them just like I am trying to minister to the community of Eugene and Springfield. 

We arrived close to 9am this time and I took the opportunity to walk a little and pray. I prayed as best I could with my head and stomach hurting. I was dehydrated because I wasn't drinking as much water as normal, but I was afraid to drink because I had thrown up in the night and still felt queasy. My walk ended with me sitting in my normal spot amongst the children watching cartoons. I ministered again through the gift of joy through art. This time being able to simply sit and observe them work diligently over the art they created. I prayed over the kids, sometimes reflecting on what Jesus would have done, would he have sat them down and told them a Bible story? What can I do? I don't speak their language, I am not prepared, what can I do? I am putting this in writing here so that I will execute on this: I want to have a children's picture Bible app on my iPad. Either as something I have created myself...(PowerPoint or something) or an actual app that someone has designed for mission trips as an easy way to tell stories without words or speaking the same language. The joy of The Lord is still the most powerful tool, and God gave me the strength to smile and share that joy through even my limited usefulness of my iPad. Here is some of their work:


Amazing what God has created, He instilled creativity! And I am continually amazed by the children, the talents, and the love that comes from God's best design: His Children. I found the hardship of these kids so profound and overwhelming. What possibly can be done to help them? And then I look around at the impact Rahabs house has made. AIM is changing not just some hearts in the community but actually changing the landscape too! Because of AIM old brothels are now used to teach children and house rescued girls. Because of AIM there is a factory employing at risk or rescued girls. Because of AIM visitors like Nick Vuijic come. God is working through organizations like AIM to change and affect communities!

Today I taught the lesson in kids club. The story I chose was the Prodigal son. Troy our campus pastor and group leader was the father and his son Chase played the prodigal. It was a blast working one more time translating with Rattanak. The theme was neighbors are welcoming. The father welcomes his son back, even when he was foolish and unwise; this is what God does for us! He welcomes us back from sin and foolish choices, like the prodigal's story of gambling and party lifestyle, we end up crashing from the high life of money and fame. Realizing that in many ways this story is the real life experience of the kids I was teaching made it come even more alive! The difference though was that the father welcomed the son back, in the culture and the village around Rahabs house fathers are not so forgiving, loving, and caring. Instead the children often learn the foolish behaviors from their fathers who sit outside all day drinking coffee, playing cards, gambling, smoking, drinking...etc I was shocked walking around even this small community at how many parents, despite their poor living conditions, were not working. They did not pay attention to their children, instead kids just ran about on the brick, glass, and garbage infested streets, that were not paved either. This is not the picture we get in the story Jesus told, instead we see a father who is longing for his son to return. He is standing, watching, waiting, and hoping to see his son again. When he does there is action behind his watching - earnest action - the father runs and embraces his son, and gives him a big kiss! The affection of the father is what God the Heavenly Father has for us. 

Psalm 80:1-19 NIV
Hear us, Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock. You who sit enthroned between the cherubim, shine forth [2] before Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh. Awaken your might; come and save us. [3] Restore us, O God; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved. [4] How long, Lord God Almighty, will your anger smolder against the prayers of your people? [5] You have fed them with the bread of tears; you have made them drink tears by the bowlful. [6] You have made us an object of derision to our neighbors, and our enemies mock us. [7] Restore us, God Almighty; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved. [8] You transplanted a vine from Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it. [9] You cleared the ground for it, and it took root and filled the land. [10] The mountains were covered with its shade, the mighty cedars with its branches. [11] Its branches reached as far as the Sea, its shoots as far as the River. [12] Why have you broken down its walls so that all who pass by pick its grapes? [13] Boars from the forest ravage it, and insects from the fields feed on it. [14] Return to us, God Almighty! Look down from heaven and see! Watch over this vine, [15] the root your right hand has planted, the son you have raised up for yourself. [16] Your vine is cut down, it is burned with fire; at your rebuke your people perish. [17] Let your hand rest on the man at your right hand, the son of man you have raised up for yourself. [18] Then we will not turn away from you; revive us, and we will call on your name. [19] Restore us, Lord God Almighty; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved.

We served at Agape's Rahab house, but earlier on we did visit Agape's restoration center. I believe the name for their safe house (ARC) having restoration in the title was a great choice. The work in these broken communities is what this Psalm is talking about.  Cambodia needs God's face to shine upon them, they need restoration, and this comes through Jesus Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit.

May the Lord restore you as you call on His Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment