Friday, June 14, 2013

Travel Home - Day 21 and 22

Searching back in my memory for what happened after Sunday.  We had a blast Sunday afternoon going shopping at the Russian market.  I got a banner that is made by an NGO with both Khmer and English translations of Romans 12:2.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
-Romans 12:2 NIV

I am hoping to add onto our missions board in the church foyer a segment on Cambodia.  I am super excited about ordering shirts, engaging with Agape International Missions more, and seeing where God leads us as a church in praying for Cambodia.  

At the Russian market Janel and I bought "Same same but different" shirts.  We had fun walking around and experiencing what shopping is like in Cambodia.  Most of our team was all shopped out from the beginning of the trip and buying stuff at Raphas house.  We still were able to have fun shopping for trinkets and gifts for our friends, family, and supporters.  

That evening we walked down and had dinner at a restaurant along the main river drag.  I sat up on the balcony for the last time and listened again to the sounds and smelled the smells of Phnom Penh, it finally dawned how fast the trip really had gone and how ready I was to be home.  Summer was beginning for everyone, others had already been enjoying it, and I was stoked to get back and start in on all the plans I have for this Summer.  

Monday morning was a lazy one we did go down for breakfast, after I finished packing all my stuff away.  Christian was still feeling very sick, but had antibiotics that were starting to finally do their job.  We stored all the bags in my room with Christian and checked out of all the other hotel rooms.  Our flight out of Phnom Penh to Seoul, Korea was at 11:55pm.  So we took the morning to walk down by the Palace (which was unfortunately closed that day).  We got rained on, I mean soaked thru and thru on our way to getting on the bus.  From there we had lunch at Sorya mall, a really new and cool mall in the middle of town.  Our plan included spending quite a while there at the mall and we got ice cream and had fun just hanging out, even walked down a few blocks back to the Central Market which is a little different than the Russian Market in terms of merchandise.

Monday evening we spent some time with Joe Conway again.  He was gonna take us bowling but the alley had closed down a couple weeks before (but he didn't know, it was so funny to show up and see a pile of rubble expecting to see a bowling alley!)  Dinner was at the airport, Burger King.  And it really did taste very legit.  We arrived really early to the airport, but in many ways we were all ready to be there and anxious to get on the plane.

The airport in Seoul is actually called Incheon.  It is about an hour outside of Seoul.  Our layover was listed at nearly 10 hours!  So the airlines paid for us to take about a 4 hour tour of Seoul.  We saw the Blue house (the presidents palace, or similar to the White House).  After that we went to a pagoda (or temple) right smack dab in the middle of the city.  Lunch was included at a traditional Korean barbecue.  Very delicious boggy beaf and rice.  We did get a chance to wander the shopping district for about half an hour, but didn't end up buying anything.  On our bus ride back to the airport the entire team slept.  The seats were a lot more comfortable in many ways than the seats on the plane even.  I think it had to do with the amount they leaned back.  I would like to visit Korea again, and for longer I think.

In the airport we found the really nice and up to date free lounge area.  It had a movie theater, free showers, and sofa chairs (or at least that's the best way I can think of describing them).  I slept for a couple hours there, took a shower, and found some good food at a Starbucks!  That rest really helped with the long flight home.  I felt really good when we got to Seattle.

In Seattle I had to say goodbye to Janel, she flew from there to LA.  It was a blast being on the same trip together, and it was nice to have that extended time with her instead of just saying good bye back in May.  The flight into Eugene was nice, except for the fact I was really cold!  I gave my shoes all away to Rahab's house along with a few shirts, so all I had were my flip flops, which worked great in the security line (when you have to take your shoes on and off) but were a little chilly on the plane rides.

When I arrived home, mom and Hans were there to greet me, and my aunt Lynn and cousin Shawna too!  It was fun seeing all the teams families and friends coming down to support.  When I landed I also thought of all of you, and the support you gave in prayer and by reading this blog.

Thank you thank you!!!

The last week and a half have been my Sabbath of Rest.  I really took the days to enjoy catching up with my mom, spending time in my Bible, and sleeping a lot.  The body needs rest, and so does the mind and spirit.  Here is a Psalm I suggest for your Sabbath of Rest - and if you don't take one ever, I challenge you to find a way to build that into your life.  Maybe you're like my Aunt and Uncle who take a 10 day camping trip every year, or like my family who enjoy a week long ski trip each year.  It doesn't have to even be out of town, it could be like mine was recently.  I went to the movies, and enjoyed being around home with little plans but plenty of opportunity to rest.

Psalm 92 NIV


1 It is good to praise the Lord
    and make music to your name, O Most High,
2 proclaiming your love in the morning
    and your faithfulness at night,
3 to the music of the ten-stringed lyre
    and the melody of the harp.
4 For you make me glad by your deeds, Lord;
    I sing for joy at what your hands have done.
5 How great are your works, Lord,
    how profound your thoughts!
6 Senseless people do not know,
    fools do not understand,
7 that though the wicked spring up like grass
    and all evildoers flourish,
    they will be destroyed forever.
8 But you, Lord, are forever exalted.
9 For surely your enemies, Lord,
    surely your enemies will perish;
    all evildoers will be scattered.
10 You have exalted my horn[b] like that of a wild ox;
    fine oils have been poured on me.
11 My eyes have seen the defeat of my adversaries;
    my ears have heard the rout of my wicked foes.
12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,
    they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;
13 planted in the house of the Lord,
    they will flourish in the courts of our God.
14 They will still bear fruit in old age,
    they will stay fresh and green,
15 proclaiming, “The Lord is upright;
    he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Find rest in God your rock this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment