Thursday, June 13, 2013

Saturday Debrief - Day 19

Saturday was a reflection day.  It is funny to reflect on the reflection actually, so in writing this post I will share several of the things I reflected upon and give you an idea of what our teams debrief was like as best I can.

The morning was very nice, we were given an extra hour to get down for breakfast.  I enjoyed as always visiting with Dinah (our waiter) and the other restaurant staff.  Our mornings had become a routine of "1 lime juice, and banana pancake...thank you..."  Dinah was the hotel owners brother and had worked there for more than a decade.  Friendly guy, all of them were.  The food was so so some of the time, but the smiles made it well worth it.

After our breakfast routine we headed out in the bus to the Cambodia Women's Crisis Center.  There we got a chance to hear a presentation covering issues ranging from domestic violence to trafficking.  This NGO (non governmental organization) worked hard to prosecute and even counsel men who were abusive.  Our visit was fairly short, but it was good to see another organization involved in the care of trafficked and abused girls.

Our lunch was at Divine Pizza and Ribs again. Our friend Joe really treated us like family. And we were so blessed by him. He joined us for dinner several nights too. After we ate we turned to some reflections:

Expectations - things were different than I had expected. I really under expected the experience with AIM ministries and especially Don Brewster.

What surprised you? - the disciples at Rahabs house, they are the real deal!

Hardest part? - being at Raphas house and Agape's Restoration Center. Not knowing how to interact with the abused girls, being that I am a guy.

Aha moment? - sitting with Darie, who asked: why do you know God?

How did God grow you? - I learned more about relating with my peers to experiences overseas and dealing with ministry reflections.

Action items-
1. Get a hold of Isaac from ATC and get shirts made
2. Share at 3 churches over the next year
3. Get in touch with local Eugene Sex trafficking prevention work

How to remember?- Like Agape's facebook page, connect with staff, and add Cambodia to mission board in church foyer.

How will you live differntly? - I will take Daries advice and sing more Jesus songs.


Psalm 89:1-8 NIV
I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. [2] I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself. [3] You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to David my servant, [4] ‘I will establish your line forever and make your throne firm through all generations.’ ” [5] The heavens praise your wonders, Lord, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones. [6] For who in the skies above can compare with the Lord? Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings? [7] In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; he is more awesome than all who surround him. [8] Who is like you, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.

This psalm speaks to that last point of our teams reflections. I am excited to live passionately now that I am home from Cambodia!

Grace to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment